What is the definition of luxury? A whim?
The dictionary will answer you “a very expensive standard of living“, then synonyms like: refined, special, superior or exuberant quality.
A term that can be misinterpreted so easily. Today I want to write about luxury as experience. Living a life of luxury begins in the mind.
Today people value health and well-being more, to the detriment of material things. We all want to look great, feel good and sleep well; I believe these are the new luxuries. No matter who they are, people today want the most to be healthy and happy.
The people I know and the people behind the screen I follow are looking to experience the holistic approach to health and well-being in all aspects of life starting with night sleep, work day, physical activity or spare time.
The well-being trend is without a doubt the new luxury. Statistics show that in 2020 almost 72% of millennials would rather spend money on experiences than on material goods. Neuroscience has proven that the habitation period (getting used to) to anything material is 6 months – 1 year (depending on the purchase: a new device, a house, a car etc.). That’s it! Because even when buying objects, people are still looking for experiences; and the Marketing department and Marketing Mix strategy sell the material things promoting the experience and covering the psychological need of the potential client (fill the gap). Your quality as an individual and the community in which you live (city – family – small circle of friends) are the only attributes that guarantee sustainable happiness. A LUXURY that we all afford but often we do not allow ourselves to enjoy it.
Turn what you already have into luxury – routine of a week:
● Monday: What could be more exciting than a cup of coffee or tea in the morning? The smell of it alone can change your mood instantly. Take a few moments to yourself before rushing out the door. Or just share it with someone you love or care about. Do it consciously…
● Tuesday: Buy yourself something to make you happy: a bouquet of flowers or visit the neighborhood market with fresh vegetables and fruits. Greet the cheerful merchants ready at any moment to tell a story. Or do not buy anything, just dress elegantly that day. For you.
● Wednesday: Finding each week time to spend it in nature is associated with good health and well-being. Maybe you are lucky and have a forest near your city or green parks, or maybe the infinite sea. As The Nature Fix book by Florence Williams explains why being in the wild can make us happier, healthier and more creative.
Personally, the nature relaxes me a lot, more than going shopping. I am lucky to have a 110 ha public urban park just crossing the street. This represents luxury for me, because I love big cities and I am a totally city-girl, but I also enjoy nature getaways.
● Thursday: Hydrotherapy – this form of therapeutic treatment that uses water has been around for centuries in so many cultures. Try one day a week, instead of the quick shower, to take a warm bath. You can use whatever you like as essential oils, sea salt, music etc. You will instantly observe the lowing of your stress level and the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system. Your secret weapon in fighting stress in the middle of the week is the vagus nerve and a way to activate it is the warm bath.
● Friday: ¨Eat, pray, love¨ – did you watch this movie? Probably yes, but if not, it is a must!
I try to realize the importance of quality and organic food, not only for maintaining optimal weight but for the simple fact that 70% of the cells of the immune system are found in the gut.
But today is Friday, after a hard work week we all deserve a delicious dinner! Indulge in the “bad” food you crave. When I have time, I am backing with heart. So, prepare your favorite food and a delicious home-made cake that will pamper you instantly!
● Saturday: Weekend is here. Maybe you have days off or maybe you work the same as during the week or even more, depending on your business. But you always must remind yourself that you should set aside the weekend, making it special. Recreating fun activities (sport, camping, swimming), spending more time together (with family, friends or people you care about) or going to cinema.
Going to cinema is an activity I love. In February 2021 we are still living in complicated times; It’s been a long time since we didn’t go to the movies. But we can afford this simple luxury at home: prepare some healthy snacks, some candles for the atmosphere, maybe a beer, your cozy couch and your favorite movie.
That’s pretty close don’t you think?
● Sunday: We live in a society that defines ourselves by our accomplishment. We all know it. We are our careers, our extracurricular, our titles. And one of the most acceptable words? – “Busy.”
Without being busy, we think we are worthless. But one day a week we could try to learn to do nothing. Although it is not so easy… because our brain is programmed to be active and it is difficult to withdraw from screens or forget about work problems. At this point, doing nothing is a luxury!
Book of the day (Spanish version): La dosis natural – Por qué la naturaleza nos hace más felices, más sanos y más creativos de Florence Williams